The faculty was initially established to facilitate archaeological expertise, provide graduates to the Division of Archeology in Fine Arts Department and produce archeologists, lecturers as well as relating professionals, in order that Thailand’s numerous historical remains could be studied and conserved. Archeological sites and antiquities do not only well reflect history and traditional cultures but also unite citizens and motivate patriotism. Thus, our primary curriculums and studies particularly aimed to contribute archeological educators to the sustainability of invaluable national cultures.
In 1953, Archeology was first offered as the third course of study, in addition to Painting and Ten Crafts, in Silpa Suksa School (Silpakorn University’s preparatory school) which is now known as College of Fine Arts. The 3-year certificate course of Archeology, equivalent to current high school diploma, granted university admission to students having completed the first two years with satisfied evaluation.
Ministry of Transport’s old building which is today the National Theatre was the site of the school. The first group of four Archeology students, one female and three male, were supervised by Professor Chin Yudee, Ajarn Khien Yimsiri, Ajarn Chira Chongkon and Professor M.C. Supataradit Diskul. They studied general subjects i.e. English, etc. with Painting and Ten Crafts students.
The Faculty of Archeology was founded as the third academic faculty of Silpakorn University in 1955. Its site remained at Silpa Suksa School while the faculty’s office occasionally moved to the Bangkok National Museum. The faculty was run without full-time lecturers, yet supervised by Fine Arts Department officials and instructors from other universities e.g. Chulalongkorn Universtiy, fellow faculties in Silpakorn Universities and Ministry of Education.
The faculty moved to the first campus of Silpakorn University in 1960. Four years later, it relocated to Pannarai Building in Wang Tha Phra which now houses the Art Center of Silpakorn University.
In 1976, Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn pursued the master degree in Epigraphic Studies at the faculty’s Oriental Languages Department and completed in the following year when the faculty relocated to its current building.
Human study, advanced excavation, language capacity, inheritance of art and culture.
We train graduates, produce academic works and provide social services in art, culture and languages.
To “promote, create and inherit” the knowledge of national Archeology, languages, art and culture, aiming for the international acknowledgement.